Well, the end of this week has been INTERESTING to say that least.
So, at the beginning of the year the building that I live in got a new caretaker. From the very start, something about this fellow didn't rub me the right way. As time progressed, I continued to dislike this fellow and other tenants I talk to have echoed this disdain - his work ethic is horrible, for starters.
He is NEVER home (or coming to the door when he IS home) when you want to drop off your rent cheque (I pay with cheque, so it isn't a big deal to me, as I can slide it under the door, but others who pay with cash ((WHY?! beyond me)) have complained they are 'late' with rent as they can't give the money to him) or when you have a concern or complaint. Calling him? Also never an option, as he is never available on that end.
The maintenance of the building is lacking. My building is privately owned, and the owners take great care in the upkeep. The caretaker though, is to A) cut the grass in the summer (which I haven't seen him do once - but with the lack of rain and extreme heat it isn't growing fast) B) water the lawn (it is so sun burnt is looks dead. C) Trim the hedges out front (another tenant took it upon herself to do so as they were beyond wild) D) Keep the laundry rooms clean (Some of my neighbours clean the one closest to me, but the ones on other floors are dusty beyond belief E) Clean the windows (The same finger prints have been there for weeks) F) Vacuum the halls (this is done so infrequently, I see the same garbage on the floor for weeks).
As a person? I am 95% sure he is a drug addict. Yes, you heard me correctly. His face is full of scabs and scars. I wasn't sure at first if this was acne scaring (but for a man in his probable 40s?).. but METH face comes to mind. He is also always wearing sunglasses (even at night ala Cory Hart).. The sealing point for me was when company of his was carted away via ambulance for an overdose (Caretaker lives around the corner from my place and I could hear the paramedics talking)...
I often saw cars pull up and him hop in for a minute or two before getting out.. Drug deal? That is what I and others assume.
I don't like to make assumptions, as with my line of work you get surprises. A man with Hep C who 'lives with two other men' turned out to be a religious figure who lived in the church with two other religious figures and contracted the disease on a missionary trip in the 70s. You can't assume the worst... But I digress.
Anyhow, that brings me to this week. I came home to find a notice from the owner stating that Caretaker would no longer be care-taking as of that day.
WELL, it was grand central station outside the building for talk of this. To make a long story short, it turns out that Caretaker has A) 'Interviewed' people looking to rent a vacant suite, took deposits from them and pocketed the money. This came to light when these people came back at the beginning of this month to see what gives... and went to the owner, thankfully. B) Entered suites without the knowledge of tenants and money has gone missing (I have heard two people mention this) (I also now love the fact my nosy neighbour is ALWAYS home and is nosy.. therefore would notice if something was up in my place) C) Asked tenants if they could lend him money (multiple people mentioned this) D) Asked a tenant who pays in cash (again, WHY not cheques??) if he would tell the owner he was 'late' with rent as Caretaker wanted to 'borrow' some of the money and would pay it back at the end of the week.. they declined, thankfully, and contacted the owner.
Fellow tenants and I are a little alarmed that Caretaker is still LIVING in the building. Does he still have the pass key to all suites? If not, has he made a copy? WHY on earth if there is THEFT involved is he allowed to be HERE?? A few tenants are planning to request their locks be changed.. I am not against that idea.
I just want to point out that my building is not normally full of any drama. It's quiet. There are some quirky people here, but they are honest hardworking people at the heart of it. I live in a middle-class area of the city, not prone to major crime, as well.
I ended up doing a scan of my place to see if anything was missing, as back in April when I went to Mexico I had left him a note stating I was going away and if there was any concerns to contact my parents. I kick myself NOW for not telling my nosy neighbour or another lady in the apartment who I am friendly with instead.. I guess I just never thought I would have to worry my caretaker might be entering looking to steal.. I do have insurance, but really, should I have to use it if a person of power is abusing that and not because of (God forbid) what I purchased it for - fire, etc.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, as apparently the owner is contacting the police.
No comments:
Post a Comment