So, I was talking to my sister the other night about the stress I have been under (as previously mentioned.. and this has amplified, but I am going to refrain from talking about it...) and how I can't help but over think situations, leading to a lack of sleep and such (being I am now physically ill.. which happens when I am stressed, as normally I am not prone to illness)... She suggested that when I am home alone, I should grab a book and head to a Starbucks for a coffee and people watching..... and oh yes, this is a great way for cute single guys to come up and approach a cute single girl.
I decided to give this a try this weekend as friends were out of town or at the football game. Nothing to do.
Problem A) I didn't feel like a cup of coffee. I decided I really wanted to have a drink drink. And yes, I am aware of the fact that going for a drink ALONE sounds like the start of an episode of Intervention. I don't drink much/often/alone normally. I just really felt like a cold one.
Problem B) My choice of location for this endeavor. I COULD have gone to say, Boston Pizza... but oh no, I decided to hit up a watering hole down the street from my home. It's located inside of a hotel chain that also has two nightclubs attached to it. It's basically a gaming lounge. Not exactly a classy place.
Anyhow, I went for a little drive to run an errand, and as I was coming home stopped at the hotel. Upon entering the lounge I thought: "Hey! This isn't too bad!". It was clean and fairly quiet. People were plugging away at the VLTS or watching the horse races on one of the televisions.
I grabbed a drink from the bar and sat off to the side. At first I people watched for a while, and then pulled out a book, as I always have one on my person. A few minutes later, a cute guy approached and asked what I was reading. Hello! Score one sister for saying this works!! He then asked if I was alone and could join me. I told a little white lie that I was just stopping in to kill time before I met up with friends, in case I needed to make a run for it... but as we started talking, I figured this wasn't necessary.
We talked for about an hour...I wasn't really feeling any spark, but thought I might hang out with him again to see and THEN, this conversation played out:
Him: Would you like another drink?
Me: No, thanks. I really do need to be heading out..
Him: Oh, that's too bad! I have really enjoyed talking to you!
Me: Me too - it's been fun.
Him: Sooo... want to take me home?
Me: What? Uhm.... no.
Him: Hah. I was kidding! Okay.. not really.. So?
Me: yeeeeah. No. I am not that kind of person. Soooo.. I really should be going.
Him: are you SURE I can't walk you home?
Me: No.. I'm okay. Really. <insert a bolt for the door>
Lesson learned. A book alone in a decent place = cute guys approaching. A book alone in a gaming lounge in a hotel = cute creeps approaching.
I came home, shot my sister a text that her idea is super, I just failed at the proper location. At least we could share a good laugh about it! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment