AND, the first tomato has made an appearance!
Hah! I know it isn't much, but it will be!
On a different note, I have also decided I am going to start up a volunteer job with a program called NODA. NODA stands for "No One Dies Alone". I haven't gotten the full scoop on the program YET, but from what I do know a few hospitals/long term care facilities in the city offer up this program where if an individual doesn't have any family/friends available/in the city you would be called to come in to sit with the person who is passing away.. basically so that the person is not alone in their final hours/moments before they die.
I know this sounds like an unusual volunteer job to take on. I have told a few friends about this program and my desire to volunteer and their reaction was less than enthused. They were actually somewhat confused as to WHY I would want to volunteer for such a program..
With one of my jobs I do currently work in a hospital, but with the type of work that I do and the type of patients I deal with I am not exposed to death on any sort of regular basis. I can't say I am 100% comfortable with it either.. From working in a hospital, I do know that many patients do NOT have anyone. Their spouse has passed away, their children are grown and not in province, no family.. etc. I regularly see how they enjoy being in hospital for the interactions with other people.. which is rather sad. I could not imagine how terrifying it would be for someone to be on their death bed and feeling that sort of isolation/loneliness.
If my simple act of sitting with someone talking to them, reading to them, holding their hand or just being there could bring them some peace in their final moments - how could I not do it?
I was actually unaware NODA existed until my best friend's mom told me about it - as she volunteers for the program. I was instantly intrigued.
After reading '90 Minutes In Heaven' recently it also made me think about the life in a hospital for someone who is dying/critically ill. In 90 Minutes, the author described his depression after the accident and how he shunned the people who cared about him. A line that stuck out for me came when a friend of the authors was telling him to allow the people who care about him to help him: "It's the only thing they have to offer you.." and how him denying simply actions like bringing a magazine were "cheating them out of an opportunity" to express their love.
While I won't know these people, I do think of myself as someone who cares for others. I can't stop the course of nature, but the gift that I can offer up to someone is being there for them.. I can't help but think if this was my loved one, I wouldn't want them to be alone. Even if this IS a stranger to me, they are a loved one to someone who certainly feels the same way.
and to close, a beautiful song and beautiful video from Parachute Band.

No comments:
Post a Comment