Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Travelling to Mazatlan: Part 3: Things to DO: The Aquarium & the dump

Oh my!  With only a few days left before I leave for my solo trip to Mazatlan (Nerves are setting in!) I've been looking at a few more activities I want to partake in:

The first being the local aquarium.  Located on De Los Deportes ave, which according to Google Maps is a 3km (37 min) walk or 5 min pulmonia ride away from the Golden Zone just off the Malecon.  Gotta love how that works, eh?

(No, that is not the aquarium, I just wanted a photo of a fish and that's what I had hah)
 
The aquarium features over 250 species of fish, a marine museum, walk-through exotic bird exhibit and crocodile area. There are also three shows several times a day: a sea lion show, bird show and diving exhibition (in which for a fee you too can swim with nurse sharks. Eeeep!).  Price wise, about $7 for admission.

Second activity I am contemplating doing:  The dump.  Yes, you read that correctly.  So WHY on earth would I want to go to the dump? 

One of the local churches, the Vineyard, participates in a Dump Feeding Tour.  What is this?  Due to the high levels of poverty in the Mexico, Mazatlan included, many people spend their day at the dump sifting through garbage in hopes of finding something of value to sell in order to get some money.  This is their income.  Some actually call this HOME as well.

http://www.vineyardmcm.org/locations/mazatlan/weekly-dump-feeding-tour/

I want to stress this is not a gawking tour or a money grab.  The church is providing the tours in order to have volunteers come down to assist in first making sandwich's and then handing out a small meal and fresh, clean water to these people at the dump.

I feel like it would be a very enriching experience.  I may not have a lot, but realistically I have enough to be able to GO to Mazatlan.  My bills will be paid when I get home.  I am never without.  I like to give back when I can!

I am still trying to figure out when the tours operate and how I arrange to participate..

1 comment:

Why Girls Are Weird said...

The aquarium sounds go fun!