Thursday, September 29, 2011

The quest to read 52 books continues!

So, I know most of my last posts have revolved around the drama I have been experiencing with the ex.. I'm sorry for that, as well.  I have contemplated NOT posting anything about it - but really, the whole purpose of my blog was to have a safe place to post my thoughts in order to get them off my chest.  It just so happens that this season in my life is not one of joy.. but I am sure that will change.

You may recall I mentioned in the past that I was taking on a challenge of reading 52 books in 52 weeks - well, I HAVEN'T given up that goal... SO, here are the next chunk of books I have read since my last post (In JUNE - eeeep!) AND I am going to try to comment on my thoughts of the books, as well... What I recommend and what I would pass on.

14. Ape House - Sarah Gruen (July)
*** out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Ape-House-Sara-Gruen/dp/0385664451/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317343125&sr=8-1
- The premise of the story is about a journalist who is doing a story on a handler Isabel and a group of bonobo apes who communicate via sign language, at a University language lab.  The apes are 'kidnapped' by lack of better words by an extremist group and end up being part of a 'reality' TV show.  The quest is then to get the apes back.
I know that that sounds incredibly strange.. It was a decent read though, especially for an animal lover. 

15. But Inside I'm Screaming - Elizabeth Flock (July)
*** and a half out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/But-Inside-Screaming-Elizabeth-Flock/dp/1551667274/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317343529&sr=1-1
- A fiction novel about a journalist who suffers a melt down on live television, and subsequently has a mental break down and ends up in a hospital.  The story is slightly scattered in it's delivery of the past events and present time - and can be slightly hard to follow.  However, it was very powerful in it's message.

16.  Bravehearted Gospel - Eric Ludy (July)
** out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Bravehearted-Gospel-Truth-Worth-Fighting/dp/0736921648/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317343877&sr=1-1
- Non fiction:  Eric Ludy sets out discuss the how the beliefs of the modern day church has changed over the years, and his opinion of how this is not always for the best.  I found this VERY hard to get through, and really couldn't agree with his opinion at many points.  As an attendee of a non-denominational church myself that uses more modern 'praise and worship' music in its service and applies every day situations to bible verses - which Eric disagrees with - it was hard not to.  IMHO, if a church uses a more modern approach to attract a younger crowd to God, how can that be wrong?

17.  The Filter Bubble: What the Internet is Hiding From You - Eli Pariser (July)
***** out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Filter-Bubble-Eli-Pariser/dp/1594203008/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1317344172&sr=1-2
Non fiction: WOW!  This is a book that I raved about to everyone and anyone who was around while I was reading it.  It REALLY opened my eyes to how the Internet has changed the way people view the world, and what they are viewing.  The book discussed the fact that Google no longer gives you the most popular/recent web page when you do a search, RATHER, it has a filter that gives you what it believes you would like to read based on your browsing history.  Did you know that?  So basically, three people could type the same word/topic into the search area and get three completely different results.  The book also discusses how people are more likely to get their information/news from the Internet and that tends to give people skewed and perhaps incorrect information.   I highly recommend this book!

18.  Half Broke Horses - Jeannette Walls (August)
**** out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Half-Broke-Horses-Jeannette-Walls/dp/1416586288/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317344560&sr=1-2
Non Fiction: I read another book by Jeannette Walls, the Glass Castle, back in July - this is now the true story of her grandmother. Lily.  Very beautiful story of the struggles of a modern woman during the Great Depression and years around that.  Lily is an AMAZING woman, and her story is one to be read!

19.  Unbearable Lightness - Portia De Rossi (August)
**** out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Unbearable-Lightness-Story-Loss-Gain/dp/1439177783/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317344778&sr=1-1
Non Fiction: This is the memoir of Poria De Rossi and her struggles with coming out as a lesbian, the public spotlight and struggle with anorexia/self esteem issues.  The book is incredibly heartbreaking with the vulnerability Portia expresses and how much pain she harbored with trying to become perfect.  Beautifully sad.

20.  Little Princes - Conor Grennan (August)
***** out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Little-Princes-Conor-Grennan/dp/0062049852/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317344958&sr=1-1
Non Fiction:  AS per Amazon's about the author: Conor Grennan volunteered in Nepal at the Little Princes Children’s Home in the village of Godawari in 2004. He would eventually return to Nepal to launch Next Generation Nepal (NGN), a nonprofit organization dedicated to reconnecting trafficked children with their families in postwar Nepal.  I could not put this book down.  Read this.  That is all I will say.

21.  Those Who Save Us - Jenna Blum (August)
**** and a half out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Those-Who-Save-Jenna-Blum/dp/0156031663/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317345093&sr=1-1
A fiction novel written through two narratives - Trudy and her mother Anna who lived during the Holocaust.  Very powerful.  Very well written.

22.  Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert (September)
**** and a half out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Eat-Pray-Love-Everything-Indonesia/dp/0143038419/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317345291&sr=1-1
This book needs no explanation.  I have read it before, and re-read it again and fell in love with it again

23.  Boy In the Striped Pajamas - John Boyne  (Sept)
*** and a half out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Boy-Striped-Pajamas-John-Boyne/dp/0385751532/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317345349&sr=1-1
A fiction novel written through the eyes of 9 yr old Bruno, whose family is transplanted to Poland during the Holocaust, as Bruno's father is a high ranking member of the German army.  The family's home is situated next to what the reader figures out to be a concentration camp.  It is there that Bruno meets a Jewish boy, Shmuel, on the other side of the fence.. and an unlikely friendship develops.  Very easy, quick read.  Decent.

24.  The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath (Sept)
***** out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Bell-Jar-Sylvia-Plath/dp/0571081789/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317345622&sr=1-1
This is another book that needs to explanation.  I read it many, many years ago and decided to pick it back off the shelf for a re-read.  Still powerful to this day!

25.  When God was a Rabbit - Sarah Winman (Sept)
**** and a half out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/When-God-Rabbit-Sarah-Winman/dp/0755379292/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317345718&sr=1-1
This book is a fiction novel spanning four decades, and details the life of Elly.  It is a story of loss, hope, pain, the bonds of love and how happiness can be found in unlikely times and places.  I really can't explain it.. Very beautiful and hard to put down.

26.  The Power Of Half - Kevin Salwen (Sept)
** out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Power-Half-Familys-Decision-Taking/dp/0547248067/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317345908&sr=1-1
A non-fiction story of a family who decides to give back to society by downsizing their lives by half.  VERY easy read (I read it in it's entirety while stuck in a walk in clinic for 2 hrs)... The message is great, but I just could not find myself really rooting for the family.  I love the commitment the family had to find a cause they found most worthy, but again, I just couldn't get into this book.

There you have it!  Half way through my goal.. :-)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

WOW! Half way through really is an accomplishment!