Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Unwelcome bedmates.

So, I try to keep a very clean home..  I honestly keep a 'schedule' of cleaning so things like cleaning the bathroom is done weekly.. What can I say?  I enjoy cleanliness.

I enjoy watching the show Hoarders, and truth be told, during commercial breaks I will actually clean.  Seeing the disarray of these homes, the filth and the insects that follow makes me shudder and want to avoid anything remotely close to that scenario.

The insects in these homes.. ugh.  I am a complete girl when it comes to insects, especially, in my home - I shriek and panic when I come across a spider.. I had a problem with wasps getting inside (and HOW is still beyond me) a few years back which resulted in me screaming like a banshee while wielding a can of bug spray.  This also took place after I went to open the blinds and a dead one fell an inch from my nose onto the ground...

I had a problem with fruit flies a year ago  (that did not require banshee screaming) - they got in and took up residence in the soil of my houseplants.  I love my houseplants (if my love of gardening tells you anything) and really did not want to part with them... So I suffered a LONG time through fruit flies flying up my nose and landing in my coffee cups... I had the shot glasses of apple cider vinegar and dish soap around... to no avail.  Eventually thanks to the wisdom of my mom, Neem oil saved the day!

Living in an older apartment block, certain insects are common.  The ex who lives in the basement used to mention finding beetles on occasion in his suite... And I have come across silverfish, which are common for apartments..  I do not seem them often, just the odd time in the bathroom (as they like the moisture), and normally have kept  them at bay by the occasional spraying of a bug spray around the perimeter of the bathroom...

SO, that brings me to last night... I has curled up in bed to read before going to sleep and noticed something move out of the corner of my eye.  At first I dismissed it as my imagination (riiiiight) and went back to reading... I looked back at the bedspread and saw one of those aforementioned silverfish slithering towards me. 

Insert overly panicked flailing, tossing of blankets and banshee screaming here.

When I got my wits about me, I climbed off the bed with a tissue and found the bugger on the floor... and squished it....

I figure while I was tidying up, I had picked a few clothes that I had left on the ground onto the bed before hanging them up.. and then climbing into bed... that I had brought my bed mate into bed with me.

Oh Lord.  I can tell you that sleep was not good last night!

Today was spent moving all furniture around in the bedroom to sweep, HAND wash the floor and spray all perimeters with the bugspray...

No comments: