Right!
One of the most interesting things I have done while in Mazatlan was visit the over 100 yr old big central market (El Mercado Pino Suarez) in the heart of the historic old town Mazatlan.
WHY would you want to go to the market when you are on holidays? Well, this is not your basic grocery store (and for the record, I REALLY enjoyed going to the Mega mart which IS basically a Mexican Super Target - I may have looked like a nut taking photos of cereal, but it was neat to see what a different culture has) - for starters, everything in this massive open air marker is pretty much brought in fresh DAILY. Looking around you will see fresh baking, produce, meats, and seafood ready for purchase.... The top floor boasts small informal restaurants with VERY reasonably priced meals.
AND when I said you SEE everything- I am warning this is not for the squeamish as I, the hardcore vegetarian, stared down rows of pig heads and beef carcasses - all out in the open at the carniceria's (butchers) stalls which also turns my everything-MUST-be-In-The-Fridge-North American stomach. Different culture, different ways of doing things...
Throw some gifts, housewares, clothing, shoes, and food/snacks into the mix and you have the Central Market! Basically anything you could possibly need, minus appliances!
Rows upon rows of stalls of clothing, shoes, jewelry, and trinkets
Next to those rows you will find the food stalls selling cheap meals
Surrounding the restaurant vendors, you will find stalls selling produce, spices, etc
The Carniceria's with the butchers preparing cuts in front of you
I am not sure if you can see the prices - less than 1-2 pesos for a packaged container of the freshest fruit/veggies you will find! We snagged a few of these containers for snacks. Most of them come with a lime to squeeze over the fruit/veggies and a chili seasoning to go on top. It sounds strange, but it's a GREAT combo!
The market is a quick bus ride or taxi away from the Golden zone. I'd highly recommend carrying smaller billed pesos for this shopping trip as opposed to US bills, and be aware I did not see any credit card machines in the vendors stalls. As well, if you have a little resuable shopping bag, this would be handy to carry your purchases in..
A word to the wise is also that the vendors in the non food sections can be a tad pushy. It can be a little overwhelming when you have someone following you down the aisle OUT of their stall trying to get you to purchase items. It can be a little intimidating!
All in all - I really enjoyed venturing down to the market on previous trips and am very much looking forward to going back to explore further!
2 comments:
Oh this looks like a great way to immerse yourself into the local culture!! I'm so excited for you :)
I'm with Stephanie, I'm so excited for you to go on your trip!
Post a Comment