As it nears, I have been researching a few different activities to partake in, and I also decided to share with you what a trip to Mazatlan is like and what there is to do!
The first experience you will have with Mazatlan is the airport. Strangely, THIS is what is worrying me the most about traveling alone - navigating the airport alone. Funny, right?
Sometimes a girl needs a little self photo action to document the fun!
From my last few trips to Mazatlan, I recall the airport to be a little confusing. You travel through various custom/check points where your bags are searched. Beware of the time share/excursion folks! After you pass through yet another baggage search, you will be led right past or to a desk where people will try to sell you timeshares/excursions/transportation at crazy rates or that you may not even want. Luckily, the sellers are not always overly pushy and will accept your politely decline and walking away as an answer. If you ARE looking for excursions, your hotel can offer you better rates/packages or arrange trips from home - we arranged a price for a tour prior and snagged a deal. These sellers may not sound like a big deal - but a little overwhelming to a first time traveller. There are a few ATMs located on the ground floor - I found this is a pretty safe place to withdraw pesos. The rate is very reasonable, there is little risk of being mugged as the airport is very secure with guards, and it's convenient. I have used my Canadian debit card with no problems - and a helpful tip: MANY bank machines in foreign countries will ONLY accept a 4 digit pin #. I normally do not use a 4 digit pin, but when I travel outside of North America, I will change my pin at the bank to a 4 digit number and change it back after. It's simple to do at home at the ATM. I am not sure about using a credit card at the machine, as this is not something I have tried... but again, no worries with the debit.
Why wouldn't I do this at home? I just found it more convenient to exchange Canadian dollars for US at home (small bills for tipping the housekeeping, etc) and snagging pesos when I am there. I have found that any place I went to eat/shop (I have never done all inclusive) accepted either. I am not 100% comfortable with my mental conversion of pesos <---> dollars either.. 100 pesos is just shy of 8 US dollars as of this posting time.
So you probably want to leave the airport, right? Many travel packages will include transportation to and from the airport to your hotel. The reps for the companies will be found on the ground floor with signs for the company they work with (IE Westjet) and wearing shirts with that company logo. Pretty simple. Otherwise, there is a yellow (airport) taxi kiosk outside the terminal and I have heard of people using companies like Mazatlan Tours and prearranging that online from home.
What will it cost? WELL, when I was in Mazatlan in early 2012, the taxis, pulmonías (open air taxis that resemble golf carts) and aurigas (These are pickup trucks that have been converted with benches in the back and canopy coverings) were not metered; you could negotiate a price with the driver! Apparently, these are all now metered! I am unsure the costs. From what I can see on trip advisor, to get to the Golden Zone (where your hotel most likely is) it will cost about $345 pesos - so about $28 US. It's about a half hour ride, so really not that terrible of a price!
Aurigas - good for a larger group
Not so good for your hair (haha)
A pulmonia - great for zipping around town
Of course, you can always take a bus once you are in town. This is BY far the cheapest option - if you can figure out which one to take. That was a little confusing for me (but hey, I also have a hard time figuring out the transit system at home) - but a quick and cheap way to get around to say downtown.
Next up: Lodging!
2 comments:
I am of the theory when in doubt just ask! Find a couple of friendly female faces and they will surely point the way! You are going to have the best time!
Yep, I am with Stephanie. Ah, you're trip will be AMAZING.
Post a Comment