So, about a week and a half ago I scored tickets to the screening night of Hunger Games!
Truthfully, I have never read the books and knew very little about the storyline. I had just heard amazing things about the books from others who have read them prior, and had also read/seen the hype about the movies.
Anyhow, I decided to ask my bff to join me for the screening. Long story short, my friend is not exactly known for punctuality and we arrived at the theatre 10 minutes before the movie was to start (aka 3 hrs after I had contacted her to get plans going and over an hour after we LEFT the house) due to her having to stop to buy snacks at the store to save money.. look for a car charger.. switch chargers... go home to change.. etc, etc... and were informed the theatre was at capacity.. She exclaimed: "Oh! I hope I didn't make us late".
<insert rolling of eyes here>
I love the girl, but c'mon. :-) At any rate, even though we were denied this night we were lucky enough to get passes for ANY other night at ANY Cineplex the show was playing at! Score!
So last night we decided to hit up the theatre and finally see the movie. I really enjoyed it! Very great premise. The 2 1/2 hrs FLEW by, honestly. For knowing NOTHING about the books/movie I was able to easily catch on to the characters, story, etc.. Minus the three finger salute the characters give? (IE When Rue is killed and Katniss gives this salute to the cameras after laying her to rest) What the heck does it mean?
On the drive home I mentioned to my friend that I was not sure I WANTED to read the books YET. I actually enjoyed not knowing was was going to happen next throughout the movie... As an avid reader (and yes, I had made and surpassed my 52 book goal - seeing how high I can go in 52 weeks) I stand strongly by the fact that I feel the books are ALWAYS better than the movie.
What is your thought? DO you prefer the book to a movie adaptation? Would you read the books before the next parts of the trilogy are released?
No comments:
Post a Comment