This was about 8 years ago, but I still suffer from neck pain. Couple this with physically demanding jobs and you have a gal who needs massages. Luckily, my main job has great benefits and massages are covered 80% up to a certain amount. That means I can go for a massage for a cheap price every few months)
While I do think a nice relaxation massage is wonderful - I NEED a deep tissue massage to work out the kinks.
The first place I had went for a 'deep tissue' massage
I decided that I wanted to find a different clinic that was close to home and offered deep tissue massage. An online search (What did we DO before we all 'owned a Google'?) brought me to a clinic about 10 minutes away from home that direct billed to my insurance company AND gave you the option to BOOK ONLINE. Hello!
I chose to book with a male massage therapist as I figured I could use some good man hands to pummel the knots outta my back. To summarize my past massages: No word of a lie, one time I was actually gripping onto the side of the table as I was rather certain he was using so much pressure I was going to roll off the table. DO you remember as a kid when you would pick dandelions and 'pop' off the flowers with your fingers... well, I was almost certain my head was going to do just that one time. I am also not so sure he wasn't dancing on my back at one point..
And no, I am not a masochist. The massages MAY be painful at times, but I leave there feeling better than I have in weeks.
Anyhow, I ended up with a rare day off this week and seeing as my neck/back have really been bothering me lately, I jumped at the chance to book a massage.
SO, this morning rolls around and I get a phone call from the clinic. Odd, they called YESTERDAY to confirm my appointment. Man hands is away sick! Uggggggh. The next time I could rebook would not be for quite sometime due to my intense work schedule.. HOWEVER, they offered me up an appointment around the same time with another therapist. Fiiiiine... I guess... I took it.
Boy, was I WRONG. This tiny gal packed a MEAN punch. She asked where I wanted her to focus (neck, shoulders, mostly left and SI joints area) and how much pressure I wanted (DEEEEEEEP). Well, I will also add when mentioning the SI area she asked if it was okay to work the glute area. I tried to play it alllll cool and be all: "Yeah, no big deal.".. I wasn't expecting the panties I left on to be to be pulled down one cheek at a time and to have my left leg moved into yoga like positions as apparently I have ONE tight glute that just 'won't release'. I think the conversation in my mind went a little like this:
"She is tucking the blanket into my underwear.. Okay... OH! THAT WOULD BE SO SHE COULD YANK A SIDE DOWN"
"It's just a butt. She sees a dozen butts a day, I'm sure. Everyone has a butt. Yours is no big deal. YOU see at least 4 butts a day at work.. You don't judge or look at it in any way besides "It's a butt." Why would she?"
"Don't giggle. It's just a butt. She's being professional here."
"Hollllllllllllllllllllly. I never realized how much I needed this"
She dug into my shoulders like no man's business (I also apparently have small scapulas.. I said: "Oh!" I am not sure if "Thanks" was what she was going for). also having me position my arms in different ways to REALLY get in there. I am also 90% sure she was up on the bed at some points REALLY getting her weight into obliterating the knots.
She warned me I may be sore later today as a massage that intense causes a lot of inflammation.. So worth it..
Painful? Yes. Good? Yes.. BEST. MASSAGE. EVER.
The moral of the story? Never judge a book by it's cover. I think I may have found my new massage therapist..
3 comments:
Oh yeah! I'm so glad after this long you managed to find someone who can help with those aches and pains. Nagging pain is the worst! Hope you booked that itty bitty lady again:)
there's nothing better than a good massage. i don't think i like it quite as deep tissue as you do but either way, who doesn't love getting rubbed down by someone who knows how to rub?? that sounds a touch dirty ;)
i'm lucky - i have a partner who buys me a floating cloud package from Silk Road at the end of every term of school: one hour facial, one hour full body massage. yes please!
Stephanie - Oh, I will be booking again, for sure! :-)
Kristy - Hah! The does sound a touch (ha ha) wrong, but I agree fully! You are lucky to have such a great partner who understands the need for pampering! :-) So envious!
Post a Comment