Okay, so remember when I said that I would get back to my promise of posting about the books I was reading in my quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks?
Yeah, I lied.. I failed to post.. SO, with must delay (aka known as 25 books behind.. uggggh) I will post about some of the books I have read (and for the record, I am on 51 of 52 in LESS than 52 weeks!!)
27) Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain - David Eagleman (Oct)
***** out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Incognito-Secret-Lives-David-Eagleman/dp/0670063924/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330559593&sr=8-1
The product description from Amazon.ca:
If the conscious mind—the part you consider you—is just the tip of the iceberg in the brain, what is all the rest doing? In Incognito, neuroscientist David Eagleman plumbs the depths of the subconscious brain to illuminate surprising questions: Why can your foot jump halfway to the brake pedal before you are consciously aware of danger ahead? Why do strippers make more money at certain times of the month, although no one is consciously aware of their fertility level? Is there a true Mel Gibson? What do Odysseus and the subprime mortgage meltdown have in common? How is your brain like a conflicted democracy engaged in civil war? Why are people whose name begins with J more likely to marry other people whose name begins with J? Why is it so difficult to keep a secret? Why did Supreme Court Justice William Douglas deny that he was paralyzed? This subsurface exploration includes diversions into brain damage, drugs, infidelity, synesthesia, criminal law, the future of artificial intelligence, and visual illusions—all highlighting how our perception of the world is a hidden and awe-inspiring construction of the brain.
Very interesting read! I REALLY loved it!
28) My Stroke of Insight - Jill Bolte Talyor (Oct)
*** and a half out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Stroke-Insight-Jill-Bolte-Taylor/dp/0452295548/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330559821&sr=1-1
This is an autobiography of a Harvard-trained brain scientist who experienced a massive stroke and her experiences. Very amazing read. Some parts tended to get a tad too much into the medical side verses telling her own story, but still wonderful.
29) UnSweetined - Jodie Sweetin (Oct)
** and a half out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/unSweetined-Jodie-Sweetin/dp/1439152683/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330559940&sr=1-1
Yes, I read the autobiography of Jodie Sweetin (aka Stephanie Tanner). It WAS touching to read the struggles she went through trying to fit into the Hollywood world, but not the best read.
30) A Thousand Sisters: My Journey Into the Worst Place on Earth to be a Woman- Lisa Shannon (Oct)
***** out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Thousand-Sisters-Journey-Worst-Place/dp/1580053599/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330560105&sr=1-1
A true story of a woman and her firsthand accounts of experiences visiting the Congo, and of the the women she's met and helped. IT truly makes you appreciate living in North America and the freedom we have.
31) God's Behaving Badly - Marie Phillips (Oct)
**** out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Gods-Behaving-Badly-Marie-Phillips/dp/0307355934/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330560282&sr=1-1
A fiction novel about the Greek gods and Goddesses living in a rundown house in modern-day London. Very amusing read!
32) On the Outside Looking Indian - Rupinder Gill (Oct)
*** and a half out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Outside-Looking-Indian-Childhood-Changed/dp/0771035934/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330560570&sr=1-1
A non-fiction novel/memoir about an East Indian girl who sets out to relive the childhood she missed out on growing up in a strict Indian household. Very sweet and amusing!
33) Left Neglected - Lisa Genova (Nov)
** and half out of *****
http://www.amazon.ca/Left-Neglected-Lisa-Genova/dp/1439164657/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330560734&sr=1-1
A fiction novel about a woman who suffers a brain injury and her recovery. Interesting read, but not greatly written in many parts.
That's all I will post for now - more to come shortly!
No comments:
Post a Comment