Sunday, January 13, 2013

Conquering the world


Apparently my world conquering shoes are water shoes that I accidentally stumbled upon in the store and immediately had mental images of myself jogging down the beach... even though I don't jog.  

Ever.

HOWEVER, I purchased these shoes and less than a week later booked my trip to Mazatlan!

Booked a trip to travel to Mazatlan by MYSELF, I should add.

<insert panicked looks from readers here>

I know I discussed in a previous post about doing things that were not 'me' per say in order to grow, and the possibility of a solo trip to Mexico was one of them.

After that post, I sat and really thought about this.  Was this something I was just spouting off as it sounded good and exciting in my head, but really had little intention of not chickening out over?  Possibly.

I sat on the fence about whether or not a trip like this was in fact a smart decision:  
* Could I afford it? I work 3 jobs to have money to live comfortably - is this not a reward for my hard work?  My bills will be able to be paid no problem if I do this, so it is not spending money that needs to go towards important things.  The air/hotel packages I were seeing were a WEE bit more then I was hoping to spend.. but I still have the money.
* Is it safe? When I have told people I was thinking to go by myself, more often than not I got a very concerned look (especially from my mama friends) and concerns about this. ("By YOURSELF? What? Oh... <frown>) I have been to Mazatlan twice now - I know people there, so I have friends to visit with.  I have NEVER felt unsafe there in my travels.  
* Is this smart?  Period.  Is this smart? 

Even though these nagging questions were there, I still flirted with the idea of going.  I knew that the idea of going to say, Calgary for a visit was not something I wanted to do right now.. I checked the travel website we have used in the past to watch prices for packages to Mazatlan... and wondered why the packages were not fluctuating in price AT all... as this is not normal for the site - strike while the iron is hot, sorta thing....

THEN, yesterday I was getting ready to go to the gym and decided to take a peek at the sight.  No Mazatlan.  I felt panic set in.  I checked other travel sites - also no Mazatlan trips offered out of my city.  I slumped down in my chair in semi defeat - I knew they had stopped direct flights there, but 2 days prior they still showed the option of a package where I would travel from here to Alberta then to Mazatlan.  Where was this?  Why had they dumped Mazatlan completely?  Would I have to book a flight to Calgary then arrange a package out of there... I saw the dollar signs increasing and my dream fading.

I decided to log directly onto Westjet and peek around.  I told myself IF I saw a package where I would fly out of my city, I would book.  That was my sign.  

I saw a package.

I filled in my info and sat there with my hands literally shaking and sweating profusely.  

Seriously.

Do I press confirm or do I take the original site backing out as a sign?  Panic, panic.

I closed my eyes and the words 'piss or get off the pot' came to mind. ( I have a sailor mouth for a mind, I know..) and with that, I opened my eyes, decided I would conquer the world one small step at a time and pressed confirm!

I know this may not seem like a huge thing to people reading this as people travel by themselves ALL the times... but this is a big growing as a person event for me!

I am quite certain my parents, especially my mom, are not going to be too happy with this idea (when I tell them at a family dinner tonight) again for the worry aspect.  I know I am an adult and can make my own choices, but I am still a daughter and worry about worrying my folks!  

Regardless, it is booked!  March 2013 I will conquer the world.



3 comments:

Why Girls Are Weird said...

Holy crap lady, good for you! I don't think I could ever travel alone and I totally envy you for doing this. I cannot wait to read about your experience.

Tess said...

I traveled alone when I was 19 to Germany and it was the best adventure ever! Would I still be able to today? No way! I was much braver when I was younger. lol

Stephanie said...

I say YEAH!! How incredibley exciting. Just use your head and follow your heart, you will be fine! What an amazing adventure :)