Monday, January 7, 2013

An Eye For An Eye


This is something I am trying to be very mindful of.

2012 was very much a year of transformation for me - unfortunately, that came as a lot of loss.  

Part of this transformation came with the final breakup with the Ex, and realizing my own strengths and weaknesses and part of this came with shedding a few friends who were no longer people I felt were positive influences in my life.

While I am not willing to get into details, one of those people was my best friend of about 20 years.  This loss came very unexpectedly, and I am still very much struggling with the changes it has brought in my life, and will continue to bring, but for now, the right choice in my life is to keep our relationship at bay.  Stepping back from our relationship has allowed me to see someone I once knew was now a very poisoned person who I do not trust.  While I am hoping and praying for the healing of our friendship in time, I have felt a lot of stress lifted on my back by simply not being around someone who is constantly angry.

One of my resolutions for 2013 (as I spoke of prior) was to bring about more happiness in my life.  It is not to say that I am terribly UNhappy, but I could be happier. If that makes sense... I am doing more things for myself and attempting to shed negative behaviours.

That is where an eye for an eye comes in - a negative behaviour I am trying to curb is buying into other peoples drama.  Seriously, for being an adult, I certainly have my lions share of dramatic people in  my life who could give a high school clique a run for their money!

I have found that buying into their stress/drama/chaos makes me feel stressed/chaotic.    I end up stewing over the details and causing myself a lot of headaches and in some instances, involving myself in behaviours that are immature and hurtful (aka gossip or slandering other people).

I have found the simple act of walking away from gossip (and this does not include reading celebrity gossip, as that is my guilty happy pleasure in life.  I'm talking to you Justin Beiber smoking weed!) and not even involving myself leaves me happier.  

I will never say 'no' to a friend who needs a shoulder to cry on, but I will be mindful that this can be done in a much more positive way!

2 comments:

Why Girls Are Weird said...

It can be so hard to lose people in life, but I believe that some people aren't meant to stay in our lives forever.

I really hope that you will find positivity and happiness this year.

Stephanie said...

So smart! Walking away from all kinds of gossip is truly enlightened, no good can come from that crap!
Here's hoping 2013 is fabulous!