Thursday, July 14, 2011

I sympathize with Elmer Fudd - he was just misunderstood!






So, I went to catch up on a little weeding on my vegetable garden Tuesday afternoon.  Upon entering the yard, I caught the rabbit who has been feasting on basically ALL of the lettuce red... pawwed (??).. uhm.. eating the broccoli.  The little guy spotted me and made a mad dash underneath the deck.

Now, we have TRIED humane ways of keeping the rabbit at bay - upon advice of a garden store sprinkling soap around the perimeter of the garden (aka grating a bar of Irish Spring soap with a cheese grater to the bewilderment of people passing by on the street), sprinkling pepper around the perimeter AND finally purchasing a humane trap in order to catch the little guy and release him in a more appropriate rabbit location... which is not in the garden.

I leaped over to the deck and decided I was going to chase this rabbit out myself.. So like a psychopath, I began stomping across the deck, stopping every couple of feet to jump up and down in hopes of scaring him out from underneath and chasing him out of the yard... I am not sure why I thought this would work.

When he didn't come out from under the deck (where I assume he is living), I grabbed the garden hose (with thoughts of Silence of the Lambs on my mind: "Or it gets the hose again!") and sprayed the deck down hoping the water would chase him out... and yes, I also see how this was a failed plan.

When he didn't come out, I gave up, slammed the trap down NEXT to the broccoli and went on with my weeding..

Does anyone have any suggestions for SAVING what is left of the lettuce?! I am not looking to harm the rabbit in any way - hence the humane deterrents..

On another note, the garden is looking excellent!




The broccoli July 12th on the left and June 14th on the right!
May 18th on the left and June 20 on the right!

No comments: